This past week I decided to do something a little different from our normal “Taco Tuesday” night. I recreated my favorite Cheesy Chicken and Rice dish, sometimes referred to as El Pollo Loco. It was AMAZING!! This quick and easy chicken dish is loaded with lots of cheesy, white queso smothered on top of tender chicken and rice. It literally took less than 30 minutes to make. Making a great weeknight dinner for the family.
- 1 lb. of chicken tenderloins*
- 2 tsp. Goya Adobo
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 package of Old El Paso Spanish Rice
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 16 oz container of White Queso Cheese Dip
- Start by chopping your bell peppers and onions into ¼ strips and set aside.
- Prepare Spanish Rice according to package directions.
- Next after cleaning chicken thoroughly, toss the chicken in the seasonings.
- Add your olive oil to your skillet and sauté the chicken for about 10 mins. Next add your pepper and onion mix to the skillet. *Since I was using chicken tenderloins they are not as thick and don’t take as long to cook. If you’re using chicken breast cook for about 20 mins until both sides are slightly done before adding peppers and onions.
- Heat the queso in the microwave starting at 1 minute, followed by 30 second intervals until smooth.
- To assemble spoon a large bed of your rice onto the center of your plate. Next top with your chicken and pepper mixture. Generously drizzle the queso over the dish. For an authentic Mexican restaurant feeling, serve with chips and fresh salsa.
*Cook’s Note: If you prefer you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can find the white queso dip in the refrigerated section of the supermarket usually near the specialty cheeses.