Langston’s Birth Story

Since Langston’s first birthday is fast approaching I thought it would be a good time to share the story of his birth. 
**Disclaimer: In the name of full transparency, please be aware that this blog post contains affiliate links and any purchases made through such links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost for you).**

My due was originally October 8, 2017. However, due to a severe case of preeclampsia, I had him on September 10, 2017. I initially went to the doctor for my regularly scheduled appointment. After my doctor checked me he noticed that my blood pressure was higher than normal. There was also a good bit of protein in my urine. My doctor’s office is located across the street from the hospital so he had me go over so that I could be placed on the monitor for a bit. 

After sitting there for a moment He came back and informed me that he would be keeping me overnight. At this point, I started to become a little nervous. I had no idea what was this meant and I still had a few weeks left until my due date. I called my family and informed them that I would be staying in the hospital for what looked like the weekend. My mother and sister immediately came over followed by Langston’s father and his sister. 

For 24 hours the doctor was monitoring me to see if the protein levels in my urine would go down. Unfortunately, they didn’t so on Saturday night my doctor informed me that he would be inducing me on Sunday. I immediately became worried at this point I still had four weeks before my due date. I was given two steroid shots to ensure that Langston’s lungs would be strong enough. The hospital that I was had a great NICU so my son would not have to be taken away. After my doctor assured me everything would be okay and explained how everything would work my nerves eased a bit. 

On Sunday morning my doctor broke my water and began me on the Pitocin. I don’t even think I made it 30 minutes before he told me that he was going to have to do a c-section. Langston’s heart rate would drop every time I had a contraction. So to avoid putting him in any more distress, my doctor prepped me for surgery. Everything went so fast they wheeled me back and next thing I remember is hearing my beautiful baby boy crying for the first time. Langston was born at 9:21 am weighing 3 lbs 6 oz. 

Since Langston was so small he had to stay in the NICU for two weeks. The one thing I was not prepared for was the hormones afterward. I was very emotional, especially having to leave him at the hospital. My first night home without him I cried like a baby. I came home and all of his things were there but he wasn’t and it just felt so weird. The two weeks he was still in the hospital I would go up and feed him and sit with him. He had to get his weight up to 4 lbs or more before he would be released. I had planned to breastfeed, however, since he was in the NICU I was not able to nurse him. I was able to pump and give him my milk though. I believe this helped me come around and feel better.

On September 30 Langston was able to come home. He had finally got his weight up to 4lbs! The best part of it was this was my mother’s birthday. This made it an extra special day for her. When I brought him home I was a nervous wreck! He was so tiny and I was afraid I would break him. We eventually go into our groove and he has since grown and flourished so much you would never even know he was a preemie.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *